The Academy of European Law in Trier is holding a summer course on European consumer law from 3 to 7 July, 2023. The course will cover general consumer protection rules, the rules on unfair contract terms, product safety, digital contracts, consumer protection in financial services, enforcement and more. As part of the course, Michael Wukoschitz will lecture on air passenger rights, package travel law and timeshare.
The purpose of the summer course is to provide a thorough introduction to European consumer law. EU legislation and recent case law of the Court of Justice of the EU will be presented. Participants will be able to deepen their knowledge through discussions, case studies and workshops. The course also includes a visit to the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg.
The course will be held in English. Further information and registration at www.era.int/?131748&en
The International Travel Law Network (ITLN), an association of lawyers specialising in travel law, organised an online conference on 27 March 2023 to discuss recent developments in European travel law.
The topics included
- the right to terminate a package travel contract in case of unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances, in particular the relevance of travel warnings and the relevant point in time for a withdrawal;
- the CJEU decision on price reduction claims in the event of impairment due to extraordinary circumstances;
- current case law on travel law in Malta;
- the current status of the revision of the Package Travel Directive by the EU Commission; and
- the tour operator’s right of redress against service providers.
The event was attended by more than forty participants, including representatives of several tour operators. As the Austrian representative on the panel, Michael Wukoschitz chaired the discussion on the right of withdrawal. For media coverage, a representative of the magazine “Travel Weekly” took part.
A video recording of the conference is available on YouTube.